This position is responsible for the installation, repair, overhaul, maintenance, relocation, and servicing of industrial and domestic air conditioning units and systems, refrigerators, ventilating systems, Methylene Chloride circulation systems, surge tanks, pumps, and related equipment.
Learn more about this agency
Your typical work assignments may include the following:
* Perform testing and balancing of the smoke evacuation system in order to determine issues. * Perform troubleshooting and layout of commercial and industrial HVAC equipment in order to determine issues. * Read blueprints, plans and manuals for equipment in order to properly effect repairs. * Execute blast valve installation, maintenance and repair in order to maintain functionality
### Travel Required
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
5306 Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic
### Conditions of Employment
* U.S. Citizenship is required * Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see * Total salary varies depending on location of position * This position is subject to provisions of the WHS/OSD PPP Pilot Program * May be required to successfully complete a probationary period * Must be determined suitable for federal employment * Required to participate in the direct deposit program * This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing * This position requires you to pass a background check. The position sensitivity for this position is Non-Sensitive. * This position requires you to respond to call-ins on a 24/7 basis and is subject to overnight or multi-day relocations * This position will require you to successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination and annual physical exam thereafter * This position requires you to wear a respirator and participate in the respiratory medical monitoring program * Recruitment or Retention Incentive may be authorized in accordance with regulatory requirements
**EXPERIENCE:** A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume or OF-612. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**Your background must demonstrate the ability to perform air conditioning mechanic work. The work requires knowledge of the principles of air conditioning, and the skill to make repairs to a variety of air conditioning and cooling systems. Repair commercial and domestic refrigeration equipment such as walk-in refrigerators and freezers. Repair an assortment of commercial and industrial chilled water, direct expansion air conditioning units as well as heat pumps. Apply skilled mechanical, electrical and electronic knowledge on one of a kind blast valves. Perform blast valve installation, maintenance and repair. Perform operation, maintenance, testing and balancing of the facility overpressure management system. Analyze malfunctions in equipment by means of pressure gauges, temperature probes, leak detectors, multi-meters, amp-meters, ohm-meters and other instruments for locating defects in complex mechanical, electronic and electrical systems and controls.**
**SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT:** Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the questions. The screen-out element for this position is the **Ability To Do the Work of the Position Without More Than Normal Supervision.**
**JOB ELEMENTS:**Those who meet the minimum level of experience and training for the screen-out element will then be evaluated in each of the following job elements: * Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprinting reading) * Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc. * Trouble shooting **PHYSICAL EFFORT/REQUIREMENTS:**Frequently carries and sets up parts and equipment that weight up to 50 pounds, and with assistance, 100 pounds or more. Uses lifting devices or obtains assistance in moving heavy items. Works from ladders, scaffolding and/or platforms where systems are in hard to reach places, requiring the employee to work in close quarters or in cramped positions. Work required hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate tools when assembling units and replacing defective components, coordination for reading and setting gauges, checking refrigerant leaks, and adjusting controls. Work frequently requires stooping, stretching, bending, and kneeling for long periods of time.
**WORKING CONDITIONS:**Works indoors and outdoors, on elevated structures, and in cramped areas. Subject to discomfort from facemask and/other protective devices when there is a possibility of exposure to toxic refrigerants, noxious gases, fumes or acids. The incumbent is the dangers of moving equipment, energized electric circuits, sharp metal edges, and toxic fumes while performing the duties of this position. Exposures to electrical conductors, moving objects, sharp edges, etc., may occur along with danger of cuts, burns, and respiratory ailments. Typical safety equipment required by the trade is safety shoes, safety glasses, and hard hats. Wears prescribed uniform provided by the Government.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
**Education cannot be substituted for experience.**
### Additional information
**PPP PILOT:** The Washington Headquarters Service is currently operating under an approved reengineered Priority Placement Program (PPP) pilot for all positions in its serviced workforce. This pilot is application based and current PPP registrants who are registered for activity codes 293A and 295A (regardless of the location) are required to apply to the job announcement via USAJobs in order to exercise their priority placement status. This pilot permits priority candidates to be assessed with other competitive applicants. Anyone claiming priority status must provide a copy of their PPP registration and supporting documentation (e.g. RIF notice, Sponsor's PCS orders, Certification of Expected Separation) at the time of application to verify priority placement and eligibility. Other priority consideration programs will continue under their current operating procedures.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Washington Headquarters Services uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an **Alternate Application**: title=AlternateApplicationInformation
**Appointment Authorities:** For more information on appointment authority eligibility requirements:
* * * * Other Special Appointment Authorities * Interchange Agreements **Career Transition Assistance Programs:**These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 80 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit:
**Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants):** Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants.
**Nepotism**: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, an individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
**Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement.**
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your r?sum? and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your r?sum? and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your r?sum? and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
All qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The assessment questionnaire link can be found under the 'How To Apply' section.
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
* Required Documents
## Required Documents
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DOCUMENT IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE EVIDENCE THAT SUPPORTS YOUR ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATION CLAIMS. You MUST upload the applicable documents with your application package. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume may be submitted in any format that includes your name and contact information (telephone number and/or email). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is \"most recent.\" If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you will not be considered for this vacancy. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment for each position listed on your resume (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. Other supporting documents:
* Cover Letter, optional * Most recent SF-50, \"Notification of Personnel Action\" showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade held (WHS serviced employees SF-50s will be verified via eOPF). * College Transcript(s), if qualifying based on education (WHS serviced employees will be verified via eOPF or you may include them in your application package) * DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities * Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable * Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.) * PPP Registrants/Eligibles: Must submit the following applicable documents: 1) PPP registration 2) PCS orders (if applicable) **ARE YOU A VETERAN CLAIMING SOLE SURVIVORSHIP PREFERENCE OR 5-POINT VETERANS' PREFERENCE?** 1. You must provide legible copy/copies of the following: DD-214, \"Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,\" showing all dates of service, type of discharge as well as character of service (Honorable, General, etc.) or Statement of Service/Proof of Service (in lieu of a DD-214) from your command or local Personnel Support Detachment (PSD). The Statement of Service/Proof of Service must provide all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.). Veterans should upload their DD-214 once they receive it upon separation. 2. You should also document your complete military service information in the Veterans Preference and Military Service Section of the assessment questionnaire (type of preference, dates of service, date of VA letter, character of service, disability claim and rank and date of retirement if retired).
**ARE YOU A DISABLED VETERAN or CLAIMING 10-POINT VETERANS' PREFERENCE?** 1. Disabled veterans, veterans, widows, spouses or the mother of a veteran, who are eligible for 10-point veterans' preference, you must provide legible copies of the following: Applicable supporting documents as noted on Standard Form-15 (SF-15). To obtain a copy of SF-15, go to:
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
* How to Apply
## How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement (03/11/2019) to receive consideration.
* To begin, click** Apply** to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application. * Follow the prompts to **select your r?sum? and/or other supporting documents** to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. * After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and **click to continue with the application process**. * You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. * To view the assessment questionnaire, click here: To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account ( all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
Do not email or send hard copy resumes/applications to the Contact Information or Agency Information listed in this vacancy announcement. All resumes/applications received at the addresses listed in the Contact Information or Agency Information will be destroyed and will not be considered for this vacancy announcement.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all information in their resume and documents are legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers/documents submitted by an applicant.
Washington Headquarters Services provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please view the \"Alternate Application\" method listed in the \"Other Information\" section of this announcement. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Please visit the following link for more information
### Agency contact information
### Washington HQ Services
WHS Facilities Services Directorate Human Resources Directorate 4800 Mark Center Drive Alexandria, VA 22350 US
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Stay informed of changes to your application status by signing up for automatic email alerts at:
Washington Headquarters Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
* Fair & Transparent
## Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
* Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
* An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. * An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. * An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
* Financial suitability * Social security number request * Privacy Act * Signature and false statements * Selective Service * New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526224100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
*Open & closing dates:* 03/05/2019 to 03/11/2019
*Pay scale & grade:* WG 10
*Salary:* $27.60 to $32.24 per hour
*Appointment type:* Permanent
*Work schedule:* Full-Time
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.