- Department of Defense
- $63,080.00 -125,760.00/year*
533 Stewartson Rd
Help Duties Summary
About the Position:
Involves maintenance for various systems at a high lift lock and dam facility. Also performs and participates in a variety of diagnostic inspections, preventive maintenance, and repairs of associated lock and dam appurtenances.
The initial cut-off for referral consideration is 16 Oct 2018; applications received by this date will have the first opportunity for review. Applications received after this date will be given consideration as vacancies occur.
Learn more about this agency
* Repair and/or install hydraulic and mechanical systems;
* Rebuild lock and dam operating systems, machinery, and related equipment at the navigational facility;
* Install new equipment, maintenance, repair, overhaul or replacement of parts, systems, equipment, etc., normally associated with the building, grounds and utilities of such facilities;
* Operate mobile land plant and/or floating plant equipment; and
* Maintain project administrative maintenance records in connection with all preventive maintenance and repairs for project mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical systems, mobile land plant, floating plant, and inventory management.
10 - May be selected at any grade level with non-competitive promotion potential to target grade. Non-competitive promotion potential to the target grade based on time-in-grade requirements and demonstrated ability to perform the higher graded duties.
* Job family (Series)
5318 Lock And Dam Repairing
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
* Appropriate protective clothing and/or equipment will be provided to minimize or eliminate hazardous conditions, and its use is mandatory.
* May be required to maintain an America Red Cross Standard First-Aid card in good standing, based on site-specific requirements.
* May be required to wear a prescribed uniform, based on site-specific requirements.
* May be required to have a valid state driver's license, based on job-related, site-specific requirements.
* May be required to acquire and maintain appropriate Corps of Engineers equipment operating licenses, based on site-specific requirements.
* Pre-employment physical examination is required.
* Testing Designated Position. This position meets criteria for random drug testing under the Department of the Army (DA) Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program.
* Mission Essential. This position is not subject to administrative dismissal in emergencies based on inclement weather conditions, or other emergency situations, as appropriate.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
* Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
* Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
* Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
* Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
* Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)
* Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
* Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
* Priority Placement Program (PPP), Program S (Military Spouse) registrant
* Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Lock and Dam Equipment Mechanic without more than normal supervision. At a minimum, your level of experience must show that you have:
WY-08 -- Assisted in performing a variety of tasks associated with the installation, repair, and maintenance of lock or lock and dam machinery, or equipment of mechanical or electrical types, concrete work, etc; performed continuing and special operational or functional checks on machinery to avoid untimely or dangerous equipment breakdown, and identified development of unsafe situation; and operated a variety of power-driven hand tools and used a variety of hand/mechanical tools to accomplish simple maintenance tasks.
WY-10 -- Performed a variety of work in connection with the installation, alteration, maintenance, and repair of machinery, structures, utilities, and other facilities related to the operation and maintenance of a navigation structure; and performed tasks utilizing methods, tools, and techniques of trades and crafts (such as carpentry, painting, masonry, and mechanics), including concrete/steel fabrication, heavy equipment overhaul and repair, welding, and/or electrical repair and installation.
Failure to meet these Screen Out Elements will result in an ineligible rating.
* Ability To Do The Work Of The position Without More Than Normal Supervision
* Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
* Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
* Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
* Knowledge of Materials
* Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
* Trouble shooting
* Work requires frequent standing, stooping, stretching, climbing and crouching. Routinely lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. Uses coordination of eyes, hands, legs and body in installing, repairing, or testing equipment in confined spaces such as manholes, enclosed switchgear structures, or on overhead structures; climbs ladders and poles. Machinery on high lift structures is large and requires the skills of a heavy construction mechanic to effect repair or replacement.
* Work is performed indoors and outdoors during the day or night subject to inclement weather, on high structures usually over water that is frequently turbulent, in the proximity of moving machinery and high tension electrical equipment, on scaffolds and from slings or floating plant. Occasionally will work behind bulkheads or in tunnels below water level. Incumbent is subject to falls, drowning, electrical shocks, injury, or discomfort and when inside, exposure to moving machinery, electrical circuits and loud noises, and at times, dangerous icy conditions. Uses safety equipment such as life vests, protective ear devices, hard hats, hard toe shoes, respirators and protective clothing.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...